Saturday, February 28, 2009

MOVIE RUN-DOWN...

In all honesty, I am NOT a movie-buff. Ask me about food, and I'll give you my schpeel any day. When it comes to movies? Eh, not so much. I mean I love movies, but I am not one to head out to the theater on opening night, nor will I wait in line just to attempt to get tickets to preview shows. I will, however, watch movies just because... either a friend wants to watch it, so I'll go watch it with them. Or I'll really-really want to watch it. Case in point: Watchmen, I really wanna watch. I can't really think of something that I don't really care about at the moment.

So here are three movies that I've seen in the past few weeks, and my personal take on each:

CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC
Forced to watch, or wanted to: I plead the fifth.
Grade: B+
Personal Take: So ok, part of me was curious. Anything that has to do with shopping on any level is reason enough for me to take notice. But in truth, I'd never read the book(s). What I know about these books is that 1) they are probably one of the most "important" books in the "chick lit" genre, and 2) they're supposedly extremely entertaining. I guess that would depend on the person reading, huh?

It was an OK movie. The whole "romantic-comedy" thing worked here. And, personally, I think that Isla Fisher is awesome. I've loved her since Wedding Crashers, and I recently saw her on Definitely, Maybe (uh, it was showing at the gym so I figured I'd watch it). She's easily becoming one of my favorite fun/funny actresses. B+.

HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU
Forced to watch, or wanted to: Reference previous review.
Grade: B
Personal Take: This one's based on another book... One that I didn't read (again), nor do I plan on reading it. (I don't plan on reading the Confessions books either, just PS.) I didn't know what to expect, although I did hear that the book wasn't really the "story-telling" kind. But they worked it out fine enough, and were able to muster-up a few story lines to help bring the book to life.

As usual, it focused mainly on the stories revolving love-lorn singles. Gag me. I say that only because I know that there are just as many single people who are out and about, and are comfortable with their "status." And that I'm totally cool with. But there are also some who are out there who can't seem to not stomp their feet on the ground and complain about how they aren't finding the one. Uh, patience is a virtue, don't go looking for it, yada-yada, blah-blah-BLAH. The "love-lorn" singles in the movie made me want to stab myself. But the pleasant surprise was that there was a story about a married couple who eventually broke-up, and decided it best to carry on with their lives to work on themselves... sorta. I kind of relate the story-line to Kirsten Dunst's character on Mona Lisa Smiles. So if you know, then you know. Anyway. B (It doesn't get the "+" because Isla Fisher was not involved.).

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
Forced to watch, or wanted to: Absoultely WANTED to.
Grade: A+++
Personal Take: Fine. I am probably one of the last people on Earth to see this movie. OK, that's surely an over-statement. But really. I've been wanting to see this since it won "best movie" at the Golden Globes. So I finally saw it, and wow --- I was pretty floored. The story is/was genius.

In order to NOT spoil the story for those who have yet to watch it, I will not go into details. But at the end of the day, it is one of the best "feel good" movies ever made. I especially love that it showcased Mumbai, and the truth about poverty in 3rd world Asia. It reminded me of the things I've seen in The Philippines back in the day. My heart was broken for all the hardships shown, but at the same time, I found redemption in the perseverance of others. (*cough*JAMIL*cough*)

I know the film wasn't exactly "Bollywood," but still. It has elevated the art of Bollywood-esque cinema, and has put the Indian (South Asian) "story" on the international map. After watching the movie, I am now absolutely assured that it deserved the Oscar for "Best Movie." A+++.

3 comments:

ostacy said...

you're not the last one to see slumdog, i am! hehe... i did see "he's just not that into you" and i wanted to hurt that single girl. but eh, it was what it was. i'll probably try to catch slumdog millionaire this week. can't wait!

Wen said...

stacy--are you talking about ginnifer goodwin's character? argh. she made me ill! desperate much?! ;)

Christeeny said...

I like all your movie picks except for the first two. :-D SM was a really good movie. I wanted to take the youngest Jamil home with me.

Jai Ho!