Sunday, February 15, 2009

HUNGRY, BUT DON'T WANT TO EAT?

On those days when I'm feeling too fat to eat a substantial dinner, I have started making these tomato thingies that look like they should be served at some random soiree where guests saunter around looking gaunt and lithe. Ummm, so maybe that description was a bit much, but you'll get the picture in a sec.

Here are the ingredients:


1 Roma tomato (depending on how thick you want the pieces, you can have anywhere from 5 to 8 slices)
Wheat Thins (or the like; I have the Target brand "Thin Wheats..." lame name, I know)
Hummus (I use Trader Joe's Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus)
Cheese (I had pepper jack cheese slices in the fridge; I used one slice cut into small pieces)
Cold Cuts (Healthy Choice is a good one... you just need one slice of meat cut into pieces; I prefer turkey)
Baby Spinach Leaves
Low Cal or Fat-Free Ranch Dressing

I arrange the tomato slices on a plate, and then I spoon just a dollop of hummus on each slice. Next I place one Wheat Thin cracker on each tomato slice. On top of that I put a slice of turkey meat (or whatever you decide to use; take one slice of sandwich meat and cut into little single pieces). On top of that I place a slice of cheese, one baby spinach leaf, and then I squeeze just a "dot" of ranch dressing. After all is said and done, it looks a little something like this...


One of my roommates tells me it's uber boring. I think it's good, and I'd totally make it the next time I have guests over; a perfect thing to serve along with wine and cheese, don't you think? And it fills me up those nights when I don't feel like eating dinner. In truth, it will hold me over for like a good 45 minutes, but to satiate myself further I'll drink tons of water or tea, and then force myself to go to sleep. HA. Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Of course, I'd rather be eating this at night:


This is a pulled BBQ pork sandwich with fries & onion rings from L.A. Foodshow. I went to lunch with two friends there a few weeks back, and I took a picture of what was left before I tore into it. It was flavorful, the bun was soft, and the fries were... fries. I don't usually hate a fry, unless it's from In 'N Out, but even those I'll eat. Me and the roomies are actually headed to L.A. Foodshow tonight, so I'm hoping to do a full report soon.

2 comments:

Cookie Everman said...

Have you ever had Insalata Caprese? Your concoction reminds me of it:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/INSALATA-CAPRESE-13232

Wen said...

oh totally! i love me a good serving of caprese salad. i guess you can call my version the "poor man's caprese." ahahah! (you know - like on those days when you realize you've run out of mozz, basil, EVOO... *wink*)