Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"FAT" TUESDAY

Fat Tuesday is practically over, and in just a few hours the Lenten season will officially commence. I can't even begin to understand how fast this year is already passing by. But it's a reminder that as time passes, it's up to us to make our time worthwhile.

The funny part of Fat Tuesday is that we automatically think of it as a day to go balls-out crazy, and OD on things that we hope to give up as a "sacrifice" for the next 40 days. Think Mardis Gras or Carnivale de Venezia. It's supposed to be a day of debauchery, giving way to Ash Wednesday - the beginning of the 40 days and 40 nights of fasting before the Easter Season.

While many of us get wrapped-up in the hysteria of what to give up, I think we forget the real meaning of Lent. We become more concerned with giving up "bad" foods, or "bad" habits, and in many ways the typical Lenten sacrifice turns out to be an "alternative" way of enforcing personal diets. I am guilty as charged, and have decided that as part of my Lenten sacrifice I will give up fried food, as well as visits to the drive thru.

That said, you're probably wondering what I accomplished at lunch today... or not. Anyway, I ate an order of fries AND an order of onion rings ... oh so good, yet ridiculously horrid at the same time. Yup, I totally skipped my "healthy" lunch and opted for the fat-laden goodness. Oh, did I mention the two donuts that I ate earlier in the day? (Plus the pan de sal... oh, and the cupcake... I'm gross.)

Self-serving "alterno-diet-cum-Lenten-sacrifice" aside, I decided that this season I had to do something more than just give something up. I feel that Lent is the perfect time for personal reflection, and I'm going to use the next 40 days to strengthen that relationship I have with God. I'm not 100% sure how I'll accomplish this, but I'm determined to. Whether it's through improving my personal prayer time, doing selfless acts, being a better person in general, or putting others first -- I feel called to do something more than just giving up "bad" food or other poor habits.

As I plow along, I humbly ask that you pray for me, and I'll surely pray for you.

2 comments:

Yayson Bourne said...

werd. i plan on teaching myself new things, whatever they maybe. which will basically help me become more productive during the times that i could be chillen on the couch. plus adding more R&R in my life. reflection and relaxation, not rock & republic.

Wen said...

LOL! jay--dude i LOL'd with your last two sentences! AHAHA! but yeah, man. God bless you this Lent!