Wednesday, November 26, 2008

TO COOK OR NOT TO COOK THANKSGIVING DINNER (CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE)

Out of nowhere, it seems that Thanksgiving has reared its not-so-ugly head. I'm finding it a little hard to believe that it's officially the holiday season, and that tomorrow kicks-off the unrequited food-fest that is sure to cause a spike in the number of New Year's resolutions to be made for 2009.

This time last year I had holiday cheer pouring out my asshole. This year, not so much. It's almost as if time is moving way too fast for me to enjoy it day-to-day.

At any rate, tonight I party. Tomorrow I drive, with a friend, up north to spend the holiday with my sister and some family friends. It will be a nice time to see familiar faces from the East Coast. It will be less fun trying to work my way around dinner without feeling the need to stuff my face as if it were my job. I know that Thanksgiving Day is the one day where I should care less about my caloric intake, and care more about the things I'm thankful for. While food makes me happy, this year I am not putting it on the top of my "what I'm thankful for" list... but I'll try to enjoy it as best as I can. (That, or I'll drink my Thanksgiving dinner. At least I can pee out a bottle of red wine, theoretically speaking. Although... I know it's nearly not as fun as eating turkey drowning in gravy with stuffing and mashed potatoes on the side. Fatticus Rex, is my name.)

For those who are sticking around the area, and who aren't adept to the world of the kitchen, then here's a little something for you...

Joe's Restaurant in Venice is offering Thanksgiving Dinner for $58/adult and $20/children. Choose from brined turkey, roasted venison, cod sous vide, or an autumn plate (adults; children may order off the "childrens' menu"). Chef de Cuisine Michael Bryant is sure not
to disappoint with his passion for cooking surely influencing even the special holiday menu.

So if slaving away in the kitchen is not your cup-of-tea, then let the experts do the cooking for you. For a taste of home, make your way to Joe's. I, on the other hand, will be fighting traffic up the 5-freeway to spend the holiday in The Bay. Fun for me. (HA!)

Happy Thanksgiving!

(Photos from joesrestaurant.com)

--

Joe's Restaurant, 1023 Abbot Kinney Boulevard, Venice, CA 92091, 310.399.5811 (reservations)

No comments: