Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WOOHOO FOR DEMOCRACY!

So... Barack Obama won the long-awaited presidential race for the U.S. Not that I ever had any doubts. Even though I was never a hard-core Obama fan, I just knew that he was going to win; he represents the new wave of politics that the next generation will surely follow and take part in. He won my vote in the end, and last night's declaration was nothing less than emotional for me. His speech was great (until towards the end when he started to sound preachy. For some reason I can't stand it when anyone gets that "preachy" tone in their voice... and it's nothing against the person. I think I just shut down when I hear someone talk in that kind of way. LOL.), and it was simply done. No frills. Just Barack being Barack.

John McCain's speech was nice, too. Personally, I thought he ran a decent race up until he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate. I think that was one of the things that did him in. Also, I think that he was just caught up being a Republican at the wrong time; the Republicans are in a somewhat toxic state right now, and have a lot of cleaning up to do within their party. Not that the Democrats are without their issues, but after eight long, arduous years of the Bush agenda into play, the Repubs really need this time to spend working on re-building themselves, and re-evaluating their stance on everything. I was just floored by McCain's gracious speech (even though he had a bunch o
f booing losers in his audience).

The non-winner of the night, however, has to go to Michelle Obama. I'm sorry, but what the hell was she wearing? On the biggest night of her husband's political career, she chose to wear that red/black dress? And of all of the pieces in Narciso Rodriguez's collection,
she had to wear that one, didn't she?! Oh, Michelle. Well, she's got four years with us, so let's hope that she will not make the same mistake again. (Ahahaah! Still love ya, lady!)

1 comment:

Cookie Everman said...

Wendel, honey, I adore you. Only you would share my lament about Michelle Obama's fugly dress. When Dusty and I were watching the historic Obama speech and victory laps onstage, I kept thinking "Is that a belt over the dress or what? Out of all the dresses in the world, this was the one she picked? Bleah. Her daughters look cute, though." I even noted that some of the best designers out there will be clamoring to design for her and SHE SHOULD LET THEM.