Friday, November 21, 2008

PRE-THANKSGIVING SWEETNESS...

With Thanksgiving (that’s “skanksgiving” to all my homies back in the 301/202/703 –ha!) just around the corner, it is only fitting that people start to share in the joy that is the holiday season. Eff the gift-buying, gift-giving, and crowded malls. The holidays, after all, are all about the food.

Now here’s something I “borrowed” from my friend, Jess Spino (aka Jessie “I’m so excited! I’m so excited! I’m so…scared!” Spano); her blog - “Jessie’s Recipes” - is chock-full of good stuff. This one’s called DEATH BY CARAMEL BARS:

---

Death By Caramel Bars


Ingredients:
3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 cups unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup uncooked regular oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 (2.07-oz.) chocolate-coated chopped Snickers
1 (14-oz.) can dulce de leche (found with other Mexican ingredients, or on the baking aisle)

Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl and stir well. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, stirring just until blended. Fold in chopped candy bars.

Spoon batter into a greased aluminum foil-lined 13" x 9" pan coated with cooking spray, allowing foil to extend over ends of pan (the pan will be very full). Spoon dollops of dulce de leche over batter; swirl slightly into batter with a knife.

Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack, and cool completely. (This may take several hours.) Use foil to lift uncut brownies out of pan. Peel foil away from sides of uncut brownies, and cut into bars. Makes about 2 dozen bars.

This ends up being nice and tall with pockets of caramel goo. For an over-the-top dessert, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce (though the bars hold their own naked…).
---

Today Jess brought in a pumpkin/chocolate brownie thing that’s totally yummm-o. And to add to the pre-Thanksgiving fat-fest, Tracey (one of our other friends) brought in the death by caramel thing. Nozomi (another friend) cut me a small piece that resembled the state of Oklahoma, and I inhaled it (mind you, I had eaten two pieces of Jess’ prior). Afterward, I walked into Tracey’s office to tell her how awesome it was, but before I could even open my mouth she gave me this warning:

“Wendel, before you go back there and get another piece of it, I have to tell you that everything in it is super bad for you!”

She proceeded to pull up the recipe to show me what was in it, and I told her I wasn’t even thinking of going back for more (but secretly I was). When she pulled up the recipe, and told me how much butter she used, I almost cried. And these wouldn’t have been tears of joy, nor tears of sadness… but tears of FEAR; fear that the butter would make me double, maybe even triple, in size.

Instead of going back for more, I decided I’d share the recipe with others so that the fat may spread to everyone else besides me.

Get to it, folks. The holidays are literally right around the corner…

1 comment:

js said...

i appreciate the shout out, but stop comparing me to an 80's daytime-sitcom character! lol. glad u like the yummy treat!