Tuesday, December 2, 2008

THE UPS AND DOWNS OF UNCLE-DOM (OR UNCLE-NESS? BEING-AN-UNCLE?)

I am sure that it's one thing to be a parent, but it's an equally daunting task to being an uncle. Well, it is - at least - for me. I still remember the day I became an official, full-fledged uncle back in 2004. That June, my niece was born to my youngest brother and my then-eventual sister-in-law. That day easily ranks as one of the happiest days of my life. With my friends and other family members around, however, I knew that being an "uncle" wasn't going to be left to only being a mere presence in the life of my niece. I realized soon that there would be more to the equation than just buying her cute things, or planning to take her places when she got older, or even hanging out with her and being the "cool" uncle that every child seems to have in their life.

Even more so important than showering my niece with Prada and Sprinkles cupcakes (ok, I honestly have yet to buy her something from Prada, and I never bring Sprinkles cupcakes with me when I travel back East - ahaha... totally just an "expression" for those who get it) is the fact that I must care for her, be an example for her (although many question my aptitude for that; just because I'm the "fun" one - sheesh!), and - above all - love her as if she were my own daughter. It's quite intimidating, yet an honor all the same. I'm sure those of you who are uncles and/or aunts know exactly where I'm coming from.

I happened to check my cell phone not too long ago, and noticed that I had a missed call. There was no name attached, but it had a "202" exchange. I called it back to see who it was. My call was answered by some automated system at Washington Childrens' Hospital Center, or something like that, and it went to some generic voicemail box. Granted, on any other given day, I would've brushed the call aside. But when I heard "Washington Childrens' Hospital Center," my body went into some kind of temporary shock. Seconds later, I was fumbling on my new phone (which I have yet to truly master) to call my brother's cell. When I got his voicemail I started to panic ever-so-slightly, but I gathered myself together and left him a message: "Hey, did you or Joie happen to call me from Washington Childrens' Hospital or whatever it's called? I got a missed call, and now I'm worried. Call me. Please."

Visions of my niece, as well as of my 4-month old nephew, began to flash before my eyes. I could feel the tension building up in my head.

Thankfully, my brother knows when to NOT ignore my calls (he only ignores other calls - haha). I heard the Demi Lovato ringtone play from my phone: "This is real, this is me..." (Oh yes, I went there.) I snatched up my phone, and was like, "DID YOU GET MY MESSAGE?!"

"Uh, yeah? Everything's fine, Kuya. That wasn't me or Joie."

PRAISE THE LAWD! I could sense my brother's worry suddenly turn into a sigh of "goodness-gracious, Kuya Wendel." Hey, I'll take that any day.

"OK. Cool. As long as you guys are fine, then it's all good. Sorry, I just got worried," I said. "Everything is good?"

"Yeah, we are all fine!" My brother reassured me.

"Alright! See you in about two weeks then! Bye!"

My neurotic tendencies amaze me sometimes.

But hey... it's all part of the joy of being "Uncle Wen."

Right now, the holiday cheer is supposedly ringing in everywhere. Deck the halls, silent night, and all that other mumbo-jumbo surrounds me every day. But yet, I am spirit-less this season. I'm not even ready for the flight home to the DC area for the holidays. I feel like things have been happening so fast in my life that I somehow can't find that moment where I could just scream. I don't even think I'll be sending out one Christmas card. Oh well. I'm hoping that seeing my niece and nephew will change all that. I know that part of my reason for living is for them, and I realize each and every day that being on the other side of the country doesn't make it easy for me to NOT miss them.

Being an uncle is hard work. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

2 comments:

js said...

you're a super awesome uncle! i love helping pick out stuff for Lex ;o)

Wen said...

;) thanks, babe!