Monday, December 8, 2008

OH, BOURBON ME

As I've stated in an earlier post, I am caught in the middle of a winter slump. I have no holiday cheer running through my blood. I scoff at the sound of Christmas carols (ok, I'll sing along for a chorus or two, then I'm over it). I haven't even given Christmas cards a second look at the store. I will not be putting up any decorations. And I've been showering myself with "Merry-Christmas-to-me" presents rather than putting others first.

But it's not like I'm being all Jack Frost about it, but I'm not being psycho Scrooge either. I'd call myself "Scroogey" or "Scrooge-ish" more than anything. I mean "yay" for Christmas trees and ice skating in Santa Monica even when it's like 70-degrees outside. Whoopee. Even the Charlie Brown Christmas cartoon didn't reel me in this evening. Last year I almost killed myself for missing it on TV.

I don't know what I have to do to find the spirit within. I'm just spirit-less.


Maybe it's the whole "delayed weather" thing that's going on here. Right now it feels like I'm going through a surge of East coast fall weather, but I know I should be freezing my ass off. I think I am mentally trying to grapple with what I should be feeling weatherwise, and this year it's taking me a lot longer to process everything. Poor excuse, I know. But whatever.

I am flying back East next week to spend about 10 days with the fam-bam for the holidays. I'm hoping that being in "real" cold, and being around extra-familiar faces, will conjure up some kind of awakening. I'm especially excited to see the kids. I can't wait to hang out with Lexi, and carry the little fat-ball that is Noah.


In the meantime, I think I'm in need of making seasonal changes in my drink choices. Even though I love vodka and most clear libations, I think I need to switch to something more "winter." Does this mean I'm searching for a return to whiskey? I did love Makers Mark for a while. I may have to pass on the vodka sodas, and go for the Manhattans.


MANHATTAN (on the rocks)
3 oz Rye or Bourbon
3/4 oz Vermouth
dash of bitters
maraschino cherry for garnish


Cheers to me finding holiday spirit.

No comments: