Sunday, April 20, 2008

THANKS, POPE BENEDICT XVI

This has been a special week/weekend for Roman Catholics in the United States. Barring all of the scandal that has enveloped the Catholic Church in the U.S., and the somewhat "lax" faith practices of Church members (myself included ---at times--- I must poorly admit), Pope Benedict XVI's visit has been one of great spiritual awakening for many. His message of faith, hope, and charity is one that the country has been in need of for quite some time.

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about Pope Benedict's election to the Papacy. But that skepticism was spawned more so from a sense of "unfamiliarity." I had grown-up in a world that was accustomed to having Pope John Paul II as the spiritual leader of Catholics, and I guess a part of me just figured that he would never leave. That was purely my innocence mixed with a greater sense of personal ignorance. Like many, sometimes I find it way too hard to veer off the path of familiarity. Losing John Paul II a few years back was something that I couldn't comprehend, nor did I allow myself to care too deeply about the situation at the time. Truth is, however, I did (do) care.

Pope Benedict's election was one that flew over my head. He came almost as quickly as John Paul II left. And I think that I didn't allow myself to be fully open to his election. I even went as far as making fun of him with friends; saying that he looked scary, and that he probably was super mean or something. But after watching all of the news accounts of his visit to the East Coast, and listening to his more-than-personal messages during homilies and other speeches, I must say that I feel horrible for feeling the way I did about him. And I wish I was home for that Mass at Nationals' Stadium, and I wish I was at Yankee Stadium in NYC right now (I am watching the Mass on Fox News as I type). Needless to say,
I would like to be in an audience of the Pope one day.

I have to remember that embracing change comes at every level of life. And I have to remember to trust in His promises for us. I have my moral convictions, but I do not shove my faith down anyone's throat. And I am OK with that.

Thanks, Pope Benedict XVI, for reminding me to lead by example and by faith.

1 comment:

LAY-ah said...

my tita huh? nice.