Sunday, March 9, 2008

THE RETURN OF MISS J

At work the other day, some of my co-workers were talking about Rihanna and how she's "the new Beyonce," meaning that 'B' is pretty much a done deal. Somehow the conversation shifted to Janet Jackson. Mind you I wasn't really participating in the conversation since I was pre-occupied with something else (I could care less about Beyonce... and more so about Rihanna...). But a co-worker's comment changed that all in the span of seconds. One of my boys in the office said, with much conviction, that "Janet Jackson is done." All of a sudden the blood rushed to my head, adrenaline starting pumping through my body, and I retorted almost instantaneously - "Janet Jackson is NOT done." I must've said it with just as much conviction back because the rest of the team said, "DAMN!" in response to my sudden outburst.

That was followed by moments of silence, but after a few... the offending co-worker asked me, "So you don't think Janet Jackson is done, Wendel?" I totally laughed to myself when he asked.

Anyway. I am, obviously, a fan. And I will be the first to admit that J may never hit the same success she did with Rhythm Nation or - to a lesser extent - its follow-up, Janet; both of which are my personal favorite albums. The Velvet Rope was ok, and I only have a couple of favorites each from All For You, Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. But that being said, despite her less-than-stellar follow-up albums, she is one of those stars that will never be done. (Think Prince, Madonna, even her bro - Michael... despite his weird-ass self...) Even if her newer albums may not rock like her past ones, she is still "Janet Jackson." She still has amazing tours. She still performs like no joke. She is still the music icon. And eff all them new bitches that come on the scene. Ask any of them, and they will all count J as one of their idols.

So to those doubters, and esp. to my co-worker (although I forgive him highly), Janet Jackson is NOT done. WHAT!

---

The other day I accomplished so much: watched Jumper, bought two pairs of jeans (at separate places), bought new glasses (see photo), worked-out, went to Mass, and then studied a little for that forsaken exam tomorrow morning.

Jumper wasn't bad... I actually liked it. I'm returning one pair of jeans (eh). And I love my new glasses. They're an updated version of an older pair that I used to have. Wanted to keep the same general look, but a little sleeker with the thicker arms and squared frames.

And I forgot to forward my clock an hour. Boo.

No comments: