Sunday, August 23, 2009

WHAT A DIFFERENCE (OR NOT) A MONTH MAKES

Today officially starts my fifth week back "home," and I must say that I am amused at how much things have changed, yet also remain the same. I guess "home" wouldn't be "home" if it weren't for that, huh? I'm still getting used to things again, and in some cases it's like riding a bike: you stop for a while, and when you get on for the first time in a long time, you're kind of wary about how everything will go.

I remember the days when I could navigate my way through the city without question. For for no rhyme or reason, I just knew which streets to take, and which to avoid, and which ways were one-way, and at what time I could go through a certain area. Now, I can't even wind my way through DC without calling someone to ask for directions. It makes me sad, but at the same time the whole "getting lost" thing has lead me to parts of the city that I've actually never been before. That, in itself, is a blessing; new places to check out, and new experiences to be made. I'm absolutely down for that.

I must say that lately my mind has been too pre-occupied with figuring things out now that I'm back home. I haven't been able to blog about anything super random, nor about my feelings on a certain subject or current event, or the latest blurb about whatever it is that catches my eye at a given moment. I could blog about how humid it is here, and how much I never realized how much it feels like an oven in Our Nation's Capital this time of the year. It's so bad that my lungs can't seem to take it, and I need the A/C pumpin' in my car in order for me to breathe regularly. But being in smog-filled L.A. should've been an equally appalling experience, yeah? Well, not after being spoiled living on the west side. You don't get that smog in Santa Monica, thank goodness. But you get the humidity everywhere here... from Ft. Washington, to DC, to Tysons Corner. You just can't escape it.

At any rate, I'm getting back into the swing of things. On the weekends, my Godsis and co. have been my saving grace. They make for great company, and they keep me grounded (and they like to drink and eat with me... go figure). My younger brother, my sis-in-law, and my most adorable niece and nephew are equally comforting. Just knowing that they're now a 20-minute drive away (on a good day, mind you; DC traffic can be just as annoying as traffic on the 405) makes me happy. I'm still waiting to see my nephew take some steps on his own. He seems too shy to do it in front of his Uncle Wen, but I know that it'll happen all in due time. Being around for family parties again is fun, especially when I run into old family friends, and parents of my high school friends who love to make kuwento with me about what their kids are doing now, and all of the things I've done since I graduated Oxon Hill.

I'm getting back into the swing of things, for sure.

I miss my life in L.A., though. I miss that the weather is virtually perfect, despite the marine layer that always seems to make me want to see rain. I think I've seen just as much rain in the past four weeks as I did when I first moved to L.A. a few winters ago. "Winter Storms" in L.A. = rain... non-stop. Lame, I know. Just the other day, I was driving across the Wilson Bridge, and I thought to myself, "How weird is it that I just can't cut through Doheny to get to Sunset, and then head east toward Cahuenga." Now I'm cutting through bridges and taking exits that lead me through suburbia. Again, it's familiar territory (after getting lost fifty million times), but I'm still missing my 5 minute drives to Red Mango, or the fun lunches at Absolutely Phobulous or Mishima. Now I have to actually drive into the city to find something that's Pinkberry-ish, and my lunch options are pretty much a Harris Teeter (which isn't bad, don't get me wrong) and the food court at the mall just a short drive from the office. Fun.

Slowly and surely, I'm getting back into the swing of things. I like that I'm so close to a "city" again, and I'm loving the fact that the option for public transpo (and GOOD public transpo at that) is all mine. Restaurant Week in DC is next week, and I've got two reservations with old friends, which should be GREAT. And there's always the latest and greatest in new trends that I have yet to find. It's time re-discover my home. A lot has actually changed since I've been away, and it's up to me to conquer all these changes. It'll be sans orange bang and albondigas soup, but I guess you can't get wings and mumbo sauce in L.A.

It's equal playing ground, for sure.

That said, cheers to being back home. I am looking forward, though, to my weekend trip back to L.A. next month. Bacon-wrapped hot dogs in Hollywood = a great time.

1 comment:

Cookie Everman said...

Did you go have a bacon-wrapped hotdog? I can't believe they would even sell such a thing in Hollywood, of all places!