Sunday, January 25, 2009

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WITH MY LIFE!

This past week, it has been made public that the company I work for is leaving Beverly Hills, and headed to the East Coast; the Metro DC Area to be exact. The whole company was called to a meeting Wednesday morning (Jan. 21st). Our CEO treated us to a quick run-down of "great things" that the company is experiencing, cluminating with his news of restructuring. So Hilton Hotel Corp. will be closing shop in the 90210, and heading to what is soon to be known as the "hospitality industry hub of the United States." As obvious newcomers, Hilton will find a home where other industry giants have already set-up shop: Marriott and Choice among others.

So what does this mean for Wen, since many of you are wondering...? Well, it definitely could mean a lot of things, but this is what it all boils down to:

Our Memphis (TN) corporate offices currently houses two of our limited-service brands (Hampton Inn & Homewood Suites), and one of our full-service brands (Embassy Suites). The Hilton Garden Inn brand, which is currently housed in BH, will be joining its limited-service siblings in Memphis. Likewise, the rest of the IT department, as well as Purchasing, will be moving to Memphis. I work in Supply Management, which would be lumped together with Purchasing.

The Metro DC area's corporate offices (to be) will house the rest of the corporation, which includes all of the full-service brands (sans Embassy): Hilton, Doubletree, and the new Hilton Prestige Portfolio brands (Waldorf Astoria, Waldorf Astoria Collection, and Conrad).

I haven't truly made a decision on what I will do. Personally, if I could go to DC with the corporation, then I would. I like the company enough to follow it, and I've invested the past four years of my life with it. BUT -- it won't be so easy. Being that I'm not in a position to be relocated through the company, I would have to go through re-applying (as a DC resident), and going through the whole interview process back East, which could mean starting over from scratch. (But at least I already have a place to live at home if I did go back.) I haven't decided whether or not I'll go to Memphis, and that's IF I'm even offered the move. The option to stay in Los Angeles is also at the top of my list, even if the job market here is crap.

Once again, I find myself at a crossroads. I am not at all ready to leave L.A., although I am not one to stop the flow of my life, especially if opportunities lead me elsewhere. Sometimes I truly believe that God enjoys seeing me flinch a little. I know that there are people out there who are outright amused by my "I don't know what I'm doing with my life" moments.

Well, stay tuned.

No comments: