Wednesday, July 30, 2008

BYE-BYE, BENNIGAN'S...

It's a sad time in restaurant chain land. S&A Restaurants Corporation have decided to close down all Bennigan's and Steak & Ale restaurants across the country. This sudden move has sent many an employee showing up for work, only to find out that the doors have been closed... for good. S&A, along with some of their affiliates, filed for bankruptcy under the Chapter 7 code, prompting the closures of the two chains. Franchisees of the brands, however, will remain open, as will S&A's other brands, Ponderosa and Bonanza steak houses.

There weren't many Bennigan's restaurants in California to begin with, so the loss isn't much of a stinger. My research shows only two locations: Santa Clara and San Diego, which were - more than likely - corporate locations that have been affected by the bankruptcy case (Please correct me if I'm wrong!). Back in the DC area, however, there were several restaurants; some of which served as old "stomping grounds" during my high school years (Springfield Mall, Landmark... what?!?). It's too bad. I won't be able to have a corporate-ish monte cristo at a Bennigan's ever again. It saddens me for two minutes, but then I'm over it.

Still a little sad, though. It's the end of an era. But who knows. I remember when the Houlihan's on Franconia (NoVa) closed years ago. It magically resurrected as the restaurant attached to the Hilton Springfield (just a few blocks from its original location) - still named "Houlihan's." But I never went back. I think that was around the time when I decided that I was over chains. Chains are all the same.

For some reason I'm still a little sad about Bennigan's. Maybe because there were lot's of memories there, or not. I know I'm being super schizo right now, but I do remember going there with the BFFs (ahaha) if one of us were super pissed-off, or if we wanted to be grossly fat, or if we honestly had no other bright ideas. I remember going to one in Jacksonville (FL), and they were pumpin' music inside like it was a club. Right then I knew I could NOT ever go to one of those again. (But I secretly went to the one in Fair Oaks a few years ago when I visited my family back home. But we only went because Todai was closed. Ahahahaha.)

Sadness. Later, Bennigan's. It's been real. If only you could take Ruby Tuesday's and Friday's with you. Oh, and Applebee's and Chili's. (Ha.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work for a company that manages and tracks gift cards, and I've been following retailers filing for bankruptcy on savvywallet.com. Ponderosa and Bonanza are still accepting Metromedia gift cards. I'm not sure about franchise owned Bennigans's. My advice? Go spend your gift cards, we simply do not know how long they will be accepting them. Don't forget The Sharper Image incident: $25m in unused gift cards.

-Also, you can file a claim. Call this number for more details: 1-800-727-8355 and press 2

Anonymous said...

San Diego is a franchise. It will remain open for now. I worked at the Santa Clara location. It's pretty heartbreaking for the employees.

Anonymous said...

Bennigan's in San Diego is a FRanchise location and it will remain open years to come with its Monte Cristo, Turkey Otol and great happy hours in town.
I amm glad that Bennigan's in San Diego is continue to air all NFL Games.