Wednesday, January 20, 2010

KALBI, BULGOGI, KIMCHI - OH MY!

This is a re-post from my Yelp! profile/account. Cheers!

--
Annandale, VA. As a DC-area native, I've grown up to know that Annandale, VA is pretty much the Korean capital in Our Nation's Capital. (Ha.) It wasn't until I moved to Los Angeles, though, when I realized that all things Korean lead to Koreatown - smack in between West Hollywood and Hollywood. Now that is some serious Korean-ness right there.

After moving back to the DC area a few months ago, I found myself longing for the countless Korean BBQ spots that I had come to know and love during my stint as an Angeleno: Gui Mok, Manna, and my fave -- Tahoe Galbi. I also miss the other fried chicken places that popped-up alongside Bon Chon: Kyochon, O B Bear, or Chicken Day. And I can't even forget the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel spot: BCD Tofu House. *swoon* Oh Koreatown, how I miss thee...!

Back in DC-town, I really have no other choice but to hit up Annandale. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that it's not Koreatown as I had come to know it. But in all honesty, there are some gems in Annandale that are worth visiting multiple times.

Case in point: Hee Been.

Now from the outside, Hee Been does not look like a place that you would care to visit. In fact, it's right smack in the middle of one of Alexandria's more ghetto-er spots (which, by no means is truly "ghetto," PS). The building that it's in? Sad. The parking lot? I loathe. But you have to get past that, and step into the doors of Hee Been to understand and know that heaven really does exist. (Queue the music, Bob.)


On my first visit, which was actually post-LA (Can you believe it?), I was a skeptic. But as soon as I entered the doors, and the familiar smells came wafting at me, I almost instantaneously bowed to the greeter and an almost-fluent "an-nyeong-ha-se-yo" left my lips. Like clockwork, I got bowed back to, and was quickly ushered to my table. I felt like I was back on Wilshire and Grammercy again. (sniff)

Scenes from Hee Been

Hee Been is a Korean buffet, much in the same fashion that those Chinese buffets are set-up. Hee Been is obviously better, with less dishes to choose from (which I actually heart), and a raw meat bar where you pretty much pick-and-choose what you'd like instead of the waitstaff constantly bringing meats to you. Oh, there's also a sushi bar, which is a joke. One thing I've learned while being in L.A. is that you cannot trust sushi at a Korean-owned spot. It is just not the same!

I was a little unnerved at the fact that I had to get my own panchan*. I'm used to the servers bringing them on little plates, and spreading them out all over the table. But this is a "buffet" after all, so you're pretty much on your own - except for the cooking part. While they didn't have any panchan that I wanted to sing and dance about, everything was OK. The choice of meats was fine - the pork belly and bulgogi being my favorites. And the buffet dishes were diverse. How do you not love pa-jeon, malgeunguk, and tempura sweet potatoes?

The waitstaff was super nice compared to what I remember of Koreatown in L.A. I feel like in K-Town, it was almost normal to have a non-smiling person serve you, and you were always better off going with a Korean friend to help make things all the more easier (Thanks, C!). But in Annadale/Alexandria, the waitstaff was pretty attentive --smiles and all.

The interior is worlds apart from it's exterior. The decor is quite Korean with the paneled walls, use of dark wood, and decorative accents spread out across the place. There's even a stage in the main party room, where - I'm assuming - karaoke takes place on certain nights (among other things). And there are also smaller, more quiet party rooms in the back, where we held my mom's surprise birthday lunch last month.

Hee Been is definitely an OK spot. I'd rather go there than Gooldaegee (Honey Pig), which I'll save for another review. As I continue to find my little piece of L.A.'s Koreatown in Our Nation's Capital, Hee Been will have to be my go-to spot for now. This I don't mind so much.
--

Hee Been,
6231 Little River Turnpike, Alexandria, VA 22312-1716, (703) 941-3737

(Photos courtesy of the restaurant's web page.)

1 comment:

Crystal said...

W, this post makes me sad; DIY banchan? Nice, SMILING, waitstaff (wtf)? And Wilshire and Gramercy, aka corner of Crystal? You need to visit, asap!