Wednesday, September 2, 2009

PROCHAIN: DC RESTAURANT WEEK | RISTORANTE TOSCA

The second stop on my 2009 DC Restaurant Week tour brought me to Ristorante Tosca in the city. This time, one of my dear old college friends, Andrea, set-up the “catch up” dinner. It had been years since we last talked. While I was off doing my “L.A. thing,” Andrea was busy with work, grad school, and is now finishing up law school at Catholic. She is definitely one of my more industrious friends! She had just returned from working all summer in Poland, so Restaurant Week came at a perfect time.

Ristorante Tosca, or simply “Tosca,” is one of Dre’s favorites.
How this place actually stayed under my radar is beyond me. When I worked in the city some years back, I remembered driving past Tosca many times. While I’ve always wondered about it, I never made any effort to give it a try. So thanks to Restaurant Week, and – more importantly – to Andrea, for finally putting Tosca on “the list.” We were able to get a 9PM reservation, which was one of only a few slots left at Tosca for Restaurant Week (and the reservation was made in late July!). That alone should’ve been enough indication of how dumb I’ve been for missing out all this time.

I made my way into the city later in the evening last Thursday, and met up with Andrea at Foggy Bottom. Coming off I-66 that night, I was reminded of one of the last times I had traversed that very road with Dre –a spring afternoon back in either ’99 or 2000. We were driving in my ’92 Toyota Corolla, a car that took us everywhere within the Metro DC area, to VA Beach, to Florida, countless trips to Philly, Jersey, NYC, and the Eastern Shore. For some lame reason, ‘Casper,’ as I had come to name my white-colored car, decided to die on me just before Dre and I exited off 66. Apparently, it had been years since I gave poor Casper an oil change, and the cost of repairs was NOT something I was looking forward to. Fast forward to the present: that flashback came across my mind as I exited off onto E Street, and I couldn’t help but laugh out loud.

I found a parking spot on one of the side streets, and all of a sudden I felt like I was brought back to my good old college days. Even though I did my undergrad at Maryland, I was always hanging out with my friends at GWU my senior year. There were always meetings, mixers, dinners, and lots and lots of house parties (more appropriately “apartment” parties, but who says that?!). I was amidst the undergrad set, who were making their way home from late classes, or from the busy happy hours that were just ending; a perfect way to transition into the traditional Thursday “college nights” that would be celebrated at many a bar in/around Foggy Bottom, and nearby neighborhoods. Dre came down from her apartment, hopped into her car, and scooped me up, and we were on our way. Restaurant Week reservation #2 was about to begin.

After checking the car in with the valet, we headed insid
e. Needless to say, the restaurant was bustling. The small bar had been catering to patrons who were waiting patiently for tables, and the sounds from the main dining room were booming: conversation was rampant, servers were busily traveling to and from the kitchen always with their hands full, and parties were leaving just as fast as others arrived. We waited for a while, but were eventually seated in the dining room. The room was warm, not temperature-wise, but the neutral hues of the walls, flooring, table clothes, and artwork were very soothing; not in the sense that you’d want to fall asleep, but more so in the sense that you were instantly comfortable. Our waiter quickly tended to our needs, and soon enough we had drinks brought to us right away.

Per Dre’s suggestion, I decided to follow her lead and order pasta as my starter. She ordered the Pappardelle alla Carota, which was served with a rabbit ragu in a white wine sauce. I opted for the Raviolo di vitello – filled with roasted veal, prosciutto and pistachio mortadella. It was nothing short of delicious, and the portion was perfect.

We dove right in to our main course; Andrea went with the lamb chops, and I decided on the grilled Agnus N.Y. strip. The chops were beautifully displayed, and our waiter gently covered them with sauce. My steak came out perfectly –not at all overdone or overcooked. And the size of it would easily put Ruth’s Chris to shame. I almost had to force myself to finish, but the flavors were perfect enough that I had no issues finishing over our ‘catch-up’ conversation.

By the time the main course was done, I had almost completely forgotten about dessert… and sooner than later we were faced with another mountain to climb: a rich, chocolate mousse-like cake, and the chef’s modern take on the classic tiramisu. Both desserts were pretty staggering, yet we couldn’t even attempt to polish off either one.

The colors of Ristorante Tosca

When the check came, we were done –both mentally and physically. Late dinner was a success, and – as I had mentioned previously – Ristorante Tosca has now been added to my growing list of favorites. It definitely was a simple, yet purpose-filled night: had an awesome dinner, and reconnected with an equally awesome friend.
---

Ristorante Tosca, 1112 F Street NW, Washington, DC 20004, 202.367.1990

(Photos courtesy of the restaurant's website.)

No comments: