Sunday, June 21, 2009

FEEDING THE ROOMIES

For the past three weeks I have been "living" in my friends' living room; I'm the "guy on the couch." When the company I work for decided to uproot itself (earlier) this year to create a new home-base on the East Coast, I had to make a decision --my lease was ending May 31st. (!!!) I decided that I wouldn't renew, and one of my roommates hooked-up with another friend of ours to get a 2-BR. I, on the other hand, with less than two months to spare in SoCal, had no place to go...! But that's why I have friends whom I love. They've let me be their 'spare tenant' as I prepare for my journey Eastward.

I honestly don't know how to repay them, really. But I know one thing I can do is cook them up a feast every now and then. I finally got the free time to do so yesterday, and so I prepared them my own rendition of pork and chicken adobo, and a free-hand dish of shrimp and veggies cooked in a Thai green curry sauce.

Oh, adobo...

Shrimp & Veggies in Thai Green Curry Sauce

Adobo is adobo. iIf you're in the know, then you know what's up. The other dish was something I decided to whip up on a whim. At Trader Joe's I decided to pick up a few things: baby bok choy, yellow squash, yellow onions, haricots verts (green beans), Mexican white shrimps, TJ's Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce, and TJ's Thai Lime and Chili cashews. I chopped up the veggies, and sauteed them in a little olive oil... adding some freshly ground pepper, white pepper powder, garlic powder, and a tablespoon of light soy sauce. I set the veggies aside after browning them a little. Then I took the thawed-out shrimps and sauteed them with the same spices/sauces. I then poured half a jar of the curry sauce into the sauce pan, and let the shrimp simmer. After a few minutes, I added the veggies. After a few stirs, I added a half cup of the cashews. A couple of stirs here and there, dinner was served - much to my roommates' delight.

Survey says: the shrimp/veggie dish will now be added to my permanent repertoire. And I've got a about a month more to share more 'food' with the roomies.

No comments: